Barr Street High School Foundation (BSHS Foundation.org) is founded as a non-profit organization
under the laws of the State of South Carolina for the express purpose to:
1. Perpetuate the historical significance, educational traditions and cultural heritage of Barr Street High School, Lancaster, South Carolina - 1923 to 1970.
2. Affect a spirit of loyalty in the graduates and former students of Barr Street High School.
3. Fund scholarships and promote educational excellence in youth.
4. Promote community activities.
5. Be responsible for the housing of the mementos of Barr Street High School, including the historical legacy of the school; and to provide the means by which these purposes can be achieved.
This can then become our legacy, that in the end, we made a difference.
The late Dr. Benjamin E. Mays said:
“It must be
borne in mind that tragedy of life doesn’t lie in not reaching your goal. The
tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. It isn’t a calamity to die with dreams
unfulfilled, but it is a calamity not to dream. It is not a disaster to be unable to
capture your ideal, but it is a disaster to have no ideal to capture. It is not
a disgrace not to reach the stars, but it is a disgrace to have no stars to
With your support, we are certain that we can and will, accomplish these goals.
Officers Of The Barr Street High School Foundation
1. President: Valerie Davis Belk
2. Chairman Of The By-Laws Committee: Michael Marsh
3. Secretary: Charmain Witherspoon Stradford4. Treasurer: Jerry Witherspoon and Willie Gordon Jr.